THE IMPORTANCE OF
OBEYING GOD'S WORD
1. Last week I started teaching a series of lessons on the Bible. So far, I have taught that the Bible is without a doubt God's inspired Word.
THIS MORNING, I AM GOING TO PREACH A LESSON ON "THE IMPORTANCE OF OBEYING GOD'S WORD."
I. FIRST, GOD EXPECTS US TO OBEY HIS WORD.
1. Here are some New Testament passages that teach us to obey the Word of God.
2. As you can see from these verses, obedience to God and His Word is extremely important. In fact, it is a mandatory part of our Christian lives. If we love God, we will obey His commands. We must obey not just part of His commands--not just the ones that we like or agree with. We must strive to obey all of His decrees.
II. SECOND, WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF DISOBEYING GOD'S WORD?
1. In our day and age, I have noticed, and please correct me if I am wrong, that some people including Christians do not take God's commands or doctrines very seriously. Some people think that when the new covenant, the covenant of grace, came into effect, God stopped caring about doctrine. Some feel that doctrine is insignificant in the new covenant, only serving and loving God's people are what's important today.
2. Brethren, I am a firm believer that serving and loving God's people are important. However, obeying God's commands and doctrines are very important as well. In fact, not only are we going to be judged on our service to others, but we will also be judged on how faithful we are in following the Word of God.
3. As you can tell, I am very concerned with the laid back attitude that some people have concerning the doctrines and commandments of God. Furthermore, I am also very concerned how some people are distorting the Scriptures to justify their own desired beliefs. Some people, instead of excepting and obeying God's specific teaching on a subject, manipulate or distort God's Word to support their own human views. The Bible on many occasions warns us not to distort truth.
Today, many people are twisting the Scriptures around to support their own opinions and views.
a. Although the Bible teaches in (Mk. 16:16) that baptism is essential to salvation, many people say that it isn't.
b. Although the Bible teaches in (1 Cor. 6:9) that homosexuals will not enter into heaven, many people say that was simply Paul's opinion, and that God does not forbid homosexual behavior.
c. Although the Bible teaches in (1 Tim. 2:12) that women are not allowed to teach or have authority over men but must be silent, some women who disagree with God's divine commandment, say that that passage was cultural in natural or that passage only refers to husbands and wives -- not men and women.
d. My friends, we need to see that it is a very serious thing to distort God's Word.
(1) According to (Gal. 1:9), people who distort the Word of God will be eternally condemned.
(2) According to (2 Pet. 2:1-3; 3:16), people who distort the Word of God will bring upon themselves destruction.
4. We must never intentionally distort the Word of God to satisfy our human and worldly beliefs. If we do, we are jeopardizing our souls.
5. If we distort or disobey a commandment of God, we commit sin (1 Jn. 3:4). And you know, as well as I know that sin is a very serious offense.
6. When God gives us a command, we need to do our very best to follow it. We need to start taking God's commands more seriously. In the Bible, when people disobeyed God's instructions, they were punished.
a. Just because Adam & Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which God told them not to, death came to all people (Gen. 3).
b. Just because Moses struck the rock instead of speaking to it like God told him too, he was not allowed to enter the Promised Land (Num. 20:8-12).
c. Just because Nadab & Abihu offered an unauthorized fire while worshipping God, fire came down from the presence of the Lord and consumed them (Lev. 10:1, 2).
d. Just because Ananias & Sapphira lied to the Holy Spirit and held back some money from a land deal, they both fell down and died (Acts 5).
7. My dear brothers and sisters, we must start taking the commandments of God more seriously. Although we are living in new covenant of grace, we still must obey the Lord. We must revere the word's of our creator. We must obey the commands that even seem insignificant to us. I realize that none of us are perfect, and on occasions, we will make mistakes. But we must do every thing we can to faithfully obey the commands of God and not distort His Word.
8. We would all benefit greatly if we take heed to the wise words of Solomon.
III. THIRD, HOW WILL WE BENEFIT FROM OBEYING GOD'S WORD?
1. First, if we obey God's Word we will obtain salvation.
2. Second, if we obey God's Word we will be blessed in many ways.
a. If we follow the Lord's commands, we will be blessed with financial prosperity (Dt. 28:11).
b. If we follow the Lord's commands, we will be blessed with success (Josh. 1:8).
c. If we follow the Lord's commands, we will be blessed with long life (Dt. 4:40; 5:33; Prov. 10:27).
d. If we follow the Lord's commands, we will be blessed with eternal life (Jn. 5:24).
1. In today's lesson, we have learned that God wants us to obey His commands. If we do, we will be blessed in many ways.
2. On the other hand, if we purposely distort the Biblical teachings or disobey the Word of God, we commit sin.
3. We must start taking the commandments and doctrines of God more seriously. We must recognize that even though we live in the covenant of grace, God still wants us to accurately obey His Word.
4. I would like to close this morning, by reading you a poem written by an unknown author.
Dear Master for this coming year
Just one request I bring:
I do not pray for happiness
Or any earthly thing --
I do not ask to understand
The way Thou leadest me,
But this I ask: Teach me to do
the thing that pleaseth Thee.
I want to know Thy guiding voice,
To walk with thee each day.
Dear Master make me swift to hear
And ready to obey.
And thus the year I now begin
A happy year will be --
If I am seeking just to do
the thing that pleaseth Thee.
5. This will wrap up our series on the Bible. I hope that you enjoyed it as much as I have. If this lesson from God's Word has encouraged you to respond in any way, please come forward as we stand and sing.